Hosted by Khimaira

Wrought Iron on Piccadilly Street

Edinburg Heritage Foundation, Inc.

The Foundation was established as a non-profit organization in 1991.Edinburg Heritage Foundation, Inc. Logo The Foundation brings together citizens of the Town of Edinburg and the surrounding area to document and preserve their heritage.  Specifically, the Foundation attempts to:
Promote and encourage preservation of the history and cultural heritage of Edinburg, and promote public interest in the appreciation for the historic preservation of Edinburg.
Some of the most notable projects the Foundation has undertaken since it was established are:

  • Sponsoring of the printing of the book "The History of Edinburg" written by local residents Jean Allen Davis and Mary Ann Williamson
     
  • Worked with the Town in establishing the Edinburg Historic District
     
  • Joined with other organizations to sponsor training of volunteers in the county library specifically in the area of genealogy research
     
  • Sponsored the making of bronze plaques to be placed on the Town's historic buildings
     
  • Sponsored repair, maintenance and landscaping work at the Town cemeteries
     
  • Publication of a monthly newsletter which is sent to Foundation members
     
  • Provided the funding for the Town to purchase a Gazebo to be placed on the Town's Christmas Tree lot

The Foundation joined in a partnership with the Town of Edinburg to purchase, renovate, operate and maintain the Historic Edinburg Mill. The Mill, along with the 4 ½ acre property, was purchased in February 2000 using a Transportation Equity Act for the twenty-first Century (TEA-21) Grant administered by the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT). Since that time, the Town and the Foundation have been working with VDOT and the Virginia Department of Historic Resources on the initial planning for the Mill Project. During the spring of 2000, the Mill Project received a Grant from the Shenandoah Valley Battlefields National Historic District Commission in an amount sufficient to paint the exterior of the building. In the fall of 2000 the Town was informed by VDOT that the Mill Project was awarded a second TEA-21 Grant. In 2001, an additional Grant was received from the Shenandoah Valley Battlefield Foundation.

The Mill is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as an individual property and it is located in the Edinburg Historic District, which is also on the National Register. The Mill is also a designated Virginia Historic Landmark. The Town had a historic preservation easement placed on the property that is held by the Department of Historic Resources. It is one of the few mills along the historic Valley Pike (Route 11) to survive the Civil War and serves as a prominent and scenic resource along this route, which is a designated Virginia Scenic By-way.

The Edinburg Heritage Foundation has adapted the Mill and created a true destination in Edinburg. The facility houses a museum with exhibits dedicated to the history of the Town, the history of the Mill and the history of transportation in the Shenandoah Valley. The Museum also has a 50-seat theater featuring a locally produced film entitled “The Burning”, based on the book by John Heatwole. In addition to the Museum, a gift shop and visitor center are already in operation, with a restaurant and retail shops still in the works. 

Anyone interested in joining the Foundation and receiving the monthly newsletter can do so by sending $15 for an individual membership and $25 for a family membership to the address below.

Foundation officers are as follows:
President: Clyde Beachy
Vice President: Bill Wetzel 
Secretary: Janet Wagniere
Treasurer: Dan Harshman

Other members of the Foundation's Board of Directors:
Sandra Armentrout
Larry Beazley
Jean Allen Davis
Kathy Gwyn
Shelby Hollar
Robin Layman
Jean Martin
James Morris
Bill Roller
Elizabeth Strippy
Lorraine Zirkle

Newsletter:

For more information, please contact:
Edinburg Heritage Foundation
PO Box 336
Edinburg, VA 22824
or call Clyde Beachy at 540-984-9492

Top Of Page

Edinburg Masonic Lodge
Hunter Lodge No. 135 A. F. & A. M.
 

The first meeting was held September 24, 1855 on a warrant from the Grand Lodge of Virginia to meet and form a lodge. Hunter Lodge No. 135 A. F. & A. M. (Ancient Free and Accepted Masons) was chartered on December 12, 1855. The present lodge hall was purchased on March 20, 1869. It is located at the corner of Main and Center Streets. Meetings are held the first Thursday of each month at 7:30 P. M.

The Masonic Temple is also the home for the Royal Arch Chapter No. 17 which was chartered December 15, 1868. The first High Priest was H. H. Riddleberger, who later served in the U. S. Senate from 1883 to 1889. The Chapter supports the Alzheimer's program. Meetings are held the third Tuesday of each month at 7:30 P. M.

A few general comments about the organization of Masonry:

Freemasonry is the oldest and largest fraternal organization in existence. Written records date back to 1390. The Grand Lodge of Virginia is the oldest independent body in the United States.

The mission of Freemasonry is to build a better world through the process of building better men to live in it. It teaches the equality of man and the value of brotherly love, relief and truth. It also teaches and practices charity toward all who are less fortunate. The various bodies of Masonry maintain hospitals for crippled children and burned children, contribute to blood banks, fund medical research, provide college scholarships, contribute to the eye foundation for the blind and provide homes for the elderly and for orphans.

All Master Masons in good standing are most welcome to share in the fellowship of Hunter Lodge No. 135 and Royal Arch Chapter No. 17.

The contact for Royal Arch Chapter is A. Marvin Wilkin, Secretary, Telephone 540-459-3474. 

Top Of Page

USDA Forest Service
George Washington and Jefferson National Forests
Lee Ranger District

"Caring for the land and serving people." For over 50 years the George Washington National Forest has remained dedicated to managing resources, protecting the quality of the environment, and ensuring the productivity of the land.Elizabeth Furnace Cabin

Come experience this beautiful and historic land originally surveyed by George Washington, the site of the first CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) Camp in the United States, the lookout point used during the Revolutionary War and the Civil War, several furnaces from the pig iron industry era and more. Come spend time with us and discover all that awaits you in the Lee Ranger District.

We are the national forest closest to Washington, D. C. We are located in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, between Front Royal and Harrisonburg, with acres that extend into West Virginia. Access to the forest is easy from I-81, I-66, SR 55, Rt. 211, Rt. 11, and Rt. 340.

The Lee Ranger District Office is located at 102 Koontz Street, Edinburg, Virginia, 22824. Telephone number 540-984-4101. Fax number - 540-984-8989. Office hours are Monday through Friday between 8:00 AM and 4:30 PM.

Top Of Page

Edinburg Heritage Foundation - Edinburg Masonic Lodge
USDA Forest Service - Camp Roosevelt CCC Legacy Foundation
Edinburg VFW Post #2447 - Rotary Club of Mt. Jackson-Edinburg
Edinburg Cub Scout Pack 76

 

Camp Roosevelt CCC Legacy Foundation

As the Great Depression swept across America, citizens and natural resources both suffered.  Through the New Deal programs organized by President Roosevelt, the Civilian Conservation Corps program was born. 

Camp Roosevelt, the first Civilian Conservation Camp in America, was established in the George Washington National Forest on the Massanutten Mountain in Fort Valley, Virginia on April 17, 1933. Edinburg served as the primary operational supply center during the nine-years of CCC program existence and CCC history and heritage are deeply embedded in the overall region.

The Camp Roosevelt CCC Legacy Foundation was formed to create awareness for the vast legacy of projects and the contribution of enrollees who labored to renew our national resources and support their families. The Foundation's mission is to promote the heritage and legacy of Camp Roosevelt and the CCC.  The goals of the Foundation are to: 

  • Honor those who became stewards of the land
     
  • Preserve the stories of the people and projects of the CCC
     
  • Support the heritage and preservation of Camp Roosevelt
     
  • Build community support for a CCC Interpretive Center
     
  • Strengthen the CCC legacy

The Foundation is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit membership organization whose purpose is to: Remember the heritage of Camp Roosevelt and pass the legacy of the Civilian Conservation Corps to future generations.



The mailing address for the Foundation is:
Camp Roosevelt CCC Legacy Foundation
P. O. Box 341
Edinburg, VA  22824 

For more information please visit our web site or email us.
Email: ccc@ccclegacy.org
Web site:  www.ccclegacy.org

Top Of Page

VFW Post #2447
100 Veterans Way
Edinburg, VA  22824
540-984-4355
Web site:  www.vfwwebcom.org/va/post2447

Rotary Club of Mt. Jackson-Edinburg, District 7570
Current President:  Kelly Stauff
540-477-2515
Web site:  www.mj-e-rotary.info


Edinburg Cub Scouts Pack 76
Web site:  www.edinburgcubscoutspack76.weebly.com
cmedinburgpack76@gmail.com